But … we’ve not watched anything on Netflix in a while. We’ve been watching less television generally and less Netflix specifically. The holidays. Library books. A return to our box set of the entire Six Feet Under series. They all conspired toward this result.
So what did Netflix do about it? They sent this …
There’s nothing remarkable going on here, but it’s simple, smart email marketing. Related facts and assumptions:
- They have our email address.
- They know which shows we’ve watched (we watched Portlandia season 1 (maybe twice)).
- They know how much we watch.
- They know how long it’s been since we last logged in.
- They know what kind of flight risk we are based on that period.
- They want us to re-engage in the streaming service.
So, it’s a retention play based on our viewing habits. The call to action is to log in and start watching.
In a related story, we started watching season 2 of Portlandia this week …